diy: felt owl broochPosted: January 27, 2011
So, I love owls these days. I know they’re trendy, but I love them anyway. I found this adorable owl brooch on etsy (of course), and decided to make my own.
It was a fun and easy project and I just love the outcome. Here’s what you’ll need if you want to make one, too:
- two sheets of felt; different colors
- a small piece of fun fabric
- two buttons
- embroidery needle and thread
- a 1 inch bar pin
- hot glue gun
- fabric glue
- pen or pencil
- owl template (download mine or make your own)
- something small and circular to trace the belly
1) trace the owl template onto both sheets of felt and cut them out.
2) using your small, circular object and your fun fabric, trace a circle smaller than the owl and cut it out.
3) glue all three pieces of fabric together and fold over the triangle to create the owl’s nose.
4) Now it’s time to create the stitches. I found it easiest to use a continuous piece of thread for the entire thing. Starting in the middle of the nose, create a long stitch. Then create the side stitches. Finally, attach the buttons.
5) sew on the bar pin (or attach with hot glue)
There you go! There are endless combinations for these little guys.
Finally, here’s a photo for scale. He’s perfectly tiny. I’m thinking that maybe I can make the next one bigger AND a change purse!