diy: beach towel beach bagPosted: August 20, 2011
since my discovery of pinterest a few months ago, my to-make list has increased infinitely. my free time unfortunately hasn’t increased, but i was able to squeeze in one project before i went t to the beach this summer. one of my pinterest finds was this beach towel tote bag from martha stewart:
i didn’t really understand the instructions though, so i decided to make my own version (read: i kept trying to follow martha’s instructions but still ended up with a completely different bag). also, i’m just learning to sew. i’ve gotta say that deciding to sew towel material as a novice wasn’t the best idea. i think i broke four or five needles! proceed with caution!
materials you’ll need:
- a full-size towel; i used a really giant towel. pick a smaller one if you want a normal-sized bag!
- a hand towel that’s the same length as the full-size towel is wide
- leather strips for the straps
- leather or burlap to reinforce the straps (not pictured)
- sewing machine
1) fold the big towel in half (inside out) and pin the hand towel down to make a pocket. sew the hand towel on the bottom and two sides. also sew up the middle to make two pockets.
2) turn right-side out and fold in half. fold down the tops a few inches and pin the whole thing together. turn inside-out again and sew the sides together. beware: the fabric gets super thick!!
3) braid together leather strips for your handles. i used six strips per braid. then sew the handles to the inside of your bag.
4) cover the base of the handles with burlap squares. my bag was feeling heavy and i was worried that the handles couldn’t handle the weight (bahaaa), so sewing these squares on added some much needed reinforcement.
and there you have it! now for some awkward photos of me modeling my new bag on the beach!